Trump’s Muslim ban is a total disaster, no matter which way you look at it. Here are five reasons why.
- The Ethics: America should be a leader in the world. And we lead with our values as much as we lead with our might. This a global story, and therefore a global embarrassment. It will take a long time to undo the damage done to our reputation and leadership. The refugees Trump is targeting are the victims of terror and violence. That’s why they’re refugees.
- The Fantasy: Like many of Trump’s promises, actions and statements, this order was based on a alternative facts and a completely invented threat. “There have been zero fatal terror attacks on U.S. soil since 1975 by immigrants from the seven Muslim-majority countries President Donald Trump targeted with immigration bans on Friday.” It turns out American toddlers present more of a threat to America.
- The Security: This decision will not have any impact on our safety at home in the short run. In the long run, it will diminish safety here and around the world. Why? Because Trump just gave ISIS and other terrorist organizations the recruiting message of their dreams. They’ve attempted to spread a fantasy about the West’s war against Islam. Trump tossed fuel on that fire. Even if you don’t care about any of the refugees, the other immigrants, or any of the moral issues, you should care about this. Donald Trump loves to put his name on everything. It is now permanently associated with the most effective terrorist recruitment plan ever.
- The Politics: Is Trump a political genius or just a madman who can’t understand any issues beyond the size of his crowds or the duration of his standing ovations? That’s been a longstanding and much-debated question. Until now. He’s a madman. This is a political disaster that does nothing good, was totally unnecessary, distracts from what should be his real focus (jobs), and makes him look like a complete fool, even among members of his own administration. Even FoxNews is covering the protests and legal challenges. And that’s a big deal. His legal team looks like a bunch of interns. And he has systematically squandered the support he might have received from those Americans who didn’t vote for him, but were still willing to try to somehow stomach him. In a week, he’s lost these folks forever. Trump has truly proved himself to be the great unifier: He unified the opposition. People are marching in the streets. And more amazingly, they’re going en masse to airports on days they don’t have to travel. Do you know how motivated you have to be to do that?
- The Art of the Bad Deal: During the transition and his early days in office, Trump actually managed to cajole America’s top business leaders into meetings and, of course, to appear in front of cameras. In the last 24 hours, many of those same execs (especially from the tech community) have come out strongly against this hateful and counterproductive order. In the middle of the negotiation of his life, he got distracted by the demagogues (such as Ban-non) and totally blew it.